Wednesday 16 March 2011

Vertical surface

After visiting a number of different galleries and analysing the layouts, the aspect still in my mind was that they were all just acting as display cabinets for the work on show. This got me thinking back to when i visited the guggenheim in NYC, I was so fascinated by Frank Lloyd Wrights masterpiece that I have no recollection of the work I went to see. For me the whole gallery even from the external approach was all about the building and the experience of being guided through it. Moving through the core not noticing everything that was passing but just being mesmerised by the passage through space. 

I decided that rather than just becoming a curator in effect, I wanted to explore this idea of experience driven design. Already this idea of 'drive thru art' is about experience but how can this be exaggerated to the point that after experiencing the space you develop a spatial memory that evokes feelings, rather than being guided by whats on the walls - cant the walls become the guide. This is already the case in a number of galleries the layout is indusive towards flow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment