Sunday 20 March 2011

Exploring texture

I need to design the plan for a space which you can be guided through, so just 1 route, a simp,e route, the route itself doesn't matter it's the journey that matters. I have been thinking about this in terms of the plan and flow through the space, but I also wanted to start moving forward in terms of design ideas.

Taking the literal idea of white walls, which can be manipulated and differ in surface led me straight to the foundry. It's about time I began to build something exciting - I have missed being in the workshop and I think the impact has been evident through my work.

I have made a cast of one of the possible wall forms which would sit within the space. I have begun to dissect these by carving into the surface - thinking about how art could interact with a textured surface leads to film for me - the idea of projecting onto a moving/ changing surface will mean the art/film will also be moving/changing. This is now moving towards a dynamic plan for the space which is my overall aim, a dynamic space which induces to interaction.






These images show some of the surfaces I have worked into the walls - these over time would erode further or dissolve (change form).




I have made an number of test models - adding different constituents to my plaster mix to weaken it therefore building for its' destruction. I'm trying to only add waste material in order to also find an environmentally friendly solution - my main aim being that it's not edible for city inhabitants (such as rodents). I want something thats effected by time and weather not that is destroyed by birds and foxes. The idea of dissolving walls is poetic and thats what I want to create, something that is affected by nature over time, much like my project last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment