Tuesday 22 March 2011

Lecture - Tomoko Azuni + T.N.A. Design Studio






This lecture by Tomoko Azumi was a brief run through some of her major works. I really liked the way she designs around processes and manufacturing even within mass production, and in that way is sustainable. 

Using dying traditions to create new furniture, she designed a modern chair from an ancient technique used in a specific part of Italy, this close relationship with craftsmen is something I really appreciate from designers, I guess in the same way that I don't like to eat food that I don't know where its' come from. 

I recognised her birds house from tent London, but again here hearing about the process I am able to appreciate the final piece more, an object made entirely from offcuts, but which has been well designed and had new details added. I really like this idea of transformation weather applied to products or buildings it's something i feel I really identify with. 



She had also been in Japan when the earthquake hit, and as a Japanese national felt that she wanted to do something. She is thinking about setting up an online forum where designers can create 'kits and instructions' for pieces of furniture which the people affected can create from what they have around them. This sensitive yet useful response to the earthquake is the sort of thing I wish I saw happening more often, particularly from influential designers. I am always very interested by the work done by the firm Architecture for Humanity, who are often working in areas affected by disasters. 




No comments:

Post a Comment