Thursday 20 January 2011

Hi

Hi there, 

I am a young designer in my final year at Chelsea School of Art and Design studying Interior and Spatial Design. This blog, for me is a place where I can introduce some of my work but also comment on the work of others and interesting things I see around London, whilst voicing my opinion. 

My main interest lies in trying to reconnect people with their environment through small scale interventions; temporary structures, lighting and installations. Using interventions as tools to heighten the everyday experience of the modern day flaneur, thus reconnecting people with the environment they inhabit. 

Instigating change in the urban environment through interventions, which allow people to connect with their environment and each other, creating community interaction. In the city it is common to see destruction of sites and new constructions, but to see restoration projects or buildings changing use is less common, this is something I started to investigate during my foundation course after visiting the old Billingsgate market. I have always been interested in change of use of buildings perhaps this is because I live in such an old house, dating back to the 15th century, it has been a chapel, farm and now house (as far as we know). The idea of building onto the existing and adapting neglected buildings for a new purpose interests me, particularly as sustainability becomes more of a worldwide concern and obviously hits the construction industry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment