Friday 20 May 2011

Model construction

The model construction had a number of elements, and was really helpful in making me consider all the more technical aspects of the project. The drawings I needed for the model are the same drawings that would be needed to build this installation full scale, thus bringing some reality to the project.


Stages in building the model:
I, like the activist would completed these stages in my garage
- work out exact plan and wall thicknesses/ angles.
- build wooden frames to surround walls.
- varnish and prepare frames to allow quick release from plaster.
Move to foundry
- secure frames
- prepare luto (waste from metal moulds)
- prepare and pour plaster mix
- remove frames to reveal white forms
- carve forms with surfaces corresponding to construction drawing.

I also thoroughly enjoyed making the model, in previous years there has never been an emphasis on producing 1 piece, but preparing for the degree show has been an excellent platform for this. It has been enjoyable to be able to spend time in the foundry developing my skills but also testing materials that I had little knowledge of previously. The only downside is the length of time it's taken to build, although I've learnt a lot.




Even from photos taken on my phone you can start to see the kind of experience I am trying to create and the sort of spaces that will be created. 





Sharp angles juxtaposed against soft organic surfaces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment